Applying for Domestic Protection Order

A Protection Order is a legal order designed to protect you and your children from further violence.

It tells the abuser that they cannot abuse you, and they cannot contact you if you are not living together. The abuser will also have to go to a Stopping Violence programme.

Getting a Protection Order is one step you can take to give the abuser a clear message that you want the violence to stop.

Police will also take the violence more seriously if you have a Protection Order. At the same time you apply for a Protection Order you can also apply for court orders that allow you to keep on living in the house you owned or rented with the abuser, and/or take some of the furniture to use.

Sometimes it may not be safe to apply for a Protection Order. You will know for yourself if there is a risk that you will be in more danger. A Refuge advocate can help you work out what will be safest for you and your children.

Who can apply for a Protection Order?
Anyone in a domestic relationship. Children can apply with the help of an adult. A third party can apply on behalf of someone else. You can apply even if you have used violence yourself.

What is a “domestic relationship ” according to the law?
You are in a 'domestic relationship' if the other person is your current or ex partner, spouse, lover, boyfriend, girlfriend, parent, brother or sister, grandparent, flatmate, room-mate, other whanau or family member, child, child's parent, or close personal friend. You don't have to be living together.

Click on the links below to view the Applying for Protection Order Brochure in your language






Pasifika Support Contact: Melape Mose-Wallace
Phone: 07 346 2096   Email:


powered by TechnologyWise